Calligraphy Kaishu Katsu [partial]
Establishment of the Fifth High School
According to the Middle School Decree, which authorized the establishment of higher middle schools at five locations throughout the country, the Fifth Higher Middle School was founded in 1887. With the Higher Education Decree of 1894, it became the Fifth High School. In 1887, the Medical Department was established in Nagasaki, and in 1897 the Technology Department was founded.
The purpose of the Fifth High School was to prepare students to enter the Imperial University. Under such distinguished professors as Kano Jigoro, Natsume Soseki, and Lafcadio Hearn, the students learned, played sports, engaged in cultural activities, and enjoyed dormitory life. After graduating from the Imperial University, they contributed to Japan’s modernization in various fields. Terada Torahiko and Sato Eisaku are just two of the many national leaders among the Fifth High School graduates. Due to reformation of the educational system, in 1950 the Fifth High School ended its 60-year history and became Kumamoto University.
Emblem olive and Kashiwanoha, in the design of each San'yo intersect,
Olive represents the knowledge in the symbol of the God of Minerva,
Kashiwa is intended to represent God of Mars, that is, the Isamu.